19 June 2013

Build My Summer Reading List!

To be a good writer, one must be a good reader. I'm the daughter of a librarian, which means I probably had more access to books through my childhood than just about anyone else. I'm not sure why everyone was so surprised when 5 years ago I told everyone I was off to college to be an English major.

To me, I think it seemed only natural for me to study something that would involve the maximum amount of time with my nose in a book and with lots of fresh white paper waiting for one of my million dollar essays. I still remember a strange pamphlet I got from a neighbor about "Women in Science Careers". Someone was catering to my feminist side...but my love for word and rhyme won out for at least the first year of college. Then I guess I became a Finance major just to prove I could. I'm complicated.

I'm blogging today though, to ask for some ideas of what my next book to read should be?

I just finished reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins. It was a great book, by the way, it changed the way I look at things. I'm still questioning how true everything in that book is as it is a bit unbelievable but, if nothing else, it provided an interesting perspective on international economics and a politics. Has anyone else read this book? If so, I'd love to have a discussion about it...there was a lot there I just couldn't wrap my brain around. I would like to hear some other perspectives.

Now, I'm on the search for more reading material. I am currently writing a fantasy-type novel. So I'd like to read something in that vein. I wouldn't mind having science fiction recommendations as well. 

As an odd request...I particularly enjoy a good horror novel. I've been through the Steven King circuit already,  and I'd like to hear of some other authors and titles that I could read that will keep me up at 3AM...or at least REALLY awake at my late shift at work. (I've finally trained myself to be a night owl, sort of...I can't say my inner morning bird is too pleased.)

5 comments:

lynnielouwho said...

Have you read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson? Love it. Anything by Sharon Shinn, but particularly Mystic and Rider. I don't know why I'm coming up with a blank--oh! The Name of the Wind. It was stunning. Those are some of my favorite fantasy books, like ever :)

Lis said...

This is not fantasy or science fiction, but I just finished reading it last month and it was amazing and very well written. "The Light Between Oceans" By M.L. Steadman read it when you have a chance and you won't regret it!

The Keeles said...

I am really big fan of historical fiction... and my favorite two novels are "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" by Elizabeth George Spears and "Juliet" by Anne Fortier. I know it's not really what you asked for but they are both AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

From another daughter of a librarian and a former library employee to a dear favorite:
"Hoka! Hoka! Hoka!" by Gordan Dickson and Poul Anderson. Humans encounter race of teddy bears that LOVE literature, culture, and fiction. Anything they read or see (theater), they start to live that story. When the book begins and humans first land on their planet, the teddy bears are living a Western novel left by a space exploration group some years earlier. Super cute and entertaining.

"Dragonriders of Pern" series by Anne McCaffrey. Dragons, pretty self-explanatory. :)

Just a very few of my favorites. I don't read much sci-fy. Working on the fiction floor killed my liking for it. :)

You rock! Just so you know.

Sarah Wagner

Unknown said...

Oh lovely, lovely! I'm excited to get going on all these reads for the summer!

I need to give Sanderson another go. I started reading it and then someone took it. (It happens in a house with a library-like attitude...if it's a book and no one has it in their hands reading it, it means you can take it.)

Lis and Spencer & Ana...thanks! I'm currently reading "A Fine Myth"...before that "Princess and the Bear" and "Matched". All fantasy/sci-fi so I'm probably due for a venture in to something new soon!

Ah Sarah! I knew I could count on ya for something intriguing! I'll give those a look! Thanks!

Post a Comment