14 May 2013

The Opening Paragraph

So, this week I just wrote down ideas and thought about the kind of story I'd like to write. You would be impressed at how many preliminary ideas I wrote out.

I wrote everything out and realized, that yes indeed, I could write a novel out of this. I filled in holes and did some "sketches"...all that pre-writing project stuff you can do. I had a lot of fun, I was pleased to find my imagination does still exist. It might work a little slow and sometimes it doesn't give me fully formed thoughts, but I still get great stuff to work with.

Yesterday, I hit the point I couldn't do much pre-writing anymore and if I wanted a story I needed to start writing it.

This got me feeling a bit nervous. You know that horrible moment when you tell yourself you can easily improvise and wing a speech or performance. You have a little index card to go off of and figure you'll know what to say when the time comes. You get up...and you can't even remember your own name? Yeah...that's how I felt in front of my notebook paper.

Guess what though...I wrote my first page anyway. 

This was my first fictional writing in two years. I wrote it. It was simple.

I'll be upfront, it's not great. I'm definitely going back in to fix it, but I did have some good lines in there that I'll keep. It went well!

It's not much, but the fact I did it, it went well, and it wasn't a discouraging experience makes it a win in my book.

I'm writing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment