29 September 2013

Things Professors Should Never Say

Group projects are how things work in the workforce. They aren't. In the workforce if someone doesn't show up for work, they get fired. If someone in a class project doesn't show up for work they get free points off everyone else's work and a healthy GPA boost.

I welcome different points of view and will grade your paper without bias. Lie. Everyone has a bias, you are always more critical of differing views and new ideas than of old regurgitated ideas. Just once I want to hear a professor say, "I'm biased. I have an opinion. Write a paper that you think will get you a good grade from me." That's what they usually mean anyway.

It's easy once you get the hang of it. Everything is easy once you get the hang of it. The problem is, we're students, which means we're just learning. This is new to us, we do not have "the hang of it". So no. It's not easy. It's hard. It's very hard.

You'll have plenty of time to do this. Both true and a lie. Some people probably will have plenty of time for a massive project or to get an assignment done that evening. The thing is professor...you don't know my work schedule. You don't know what classes I'm taking or how many credits I'm doing. I might have plenty of time or just barely enough time. Don't pretend to know my schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment